Friday, January 21, 2011

My Edmonton

My relationship with this city has been shaped largely by the very first week I spent in Edmonton. I flew from a blue, green, red, yellow--and relatively warm--Toronto to visit my family in Edmonton who had moved here when I began my university studies in Windsor. When the airplane began its descent I saw nothing but snow and the curvy North Saskatchewan River. I knew from that moment that I would not like this city.

Several days later, I went to drop off my dad to his job and on my way back my car was hit by a young high school student driving alone, on learner's permit. I was hurt and had to take a break from university. While recovering I decided to stay in Edmonton and pursue my education at the University of Alberta.

My life in Edmonton has been influenced by the experiences of my first few weeks in this city. I almost completely stopped driving after the accident and rely heavily on public transit. Therefore, my existence within the city is pretty much along the routes of the ETS. I live in the Riverbend neighbourhood and have worked either in Millwoods or West Edmonton Mall. So aside from the University, West Edmonton Mall, and the Millwoods areas, I am unfamiliar with the city despite having lived here for more than four years now.

In that sense a huge section of the city lies beyond my 'boundaries.' Even though I am very inquisitive and adventurous by nature, I think my first impressions of Edmonton were horrible and have shaped my apathy to the city. Previously, I had lived in very small towns where walking and biking to and fro was the most convenient way to get around. Edmonton however is anything but good for pedestrians or cyclists. I have, therefore, been averse to venturing out and exploring.

To think about it, I have never really considered Edmonton 'home.' I came as a visitor and got stuck here due to circumstances. Yet, just as I write, I've realized that I've actually spent more time--4+ years--in Edmonton, than any other city in my life. So if any city could be considered home, it would be Edmonton; but I don't feel that way about it.

Who knows, this course might be a way to begin tearing down the imaginary boundaries and reservations I have had about Edmonton?

2 comments:

  1. Hey there,

    I read your post and couldn't help but laugh at the part you mentioned about how this city is not exactly friendly towards cyclists and what not. Case and point, I was working in the downtown and was driving just off of Jasper ave and I must have missed this cyclist being hit by an old lady in her car by like 15 seconds. He was ok, as it turns out, but it just makes your point again. Though I am a huge fan of this city, I gotta say I hate the driving. I wish that the city were more cyclist friendly because I would love to be able to bike to school and work like in my home town without fear of being killed on the side of the road. I love this city and hope you will have a look at my map of the downtown once it goes up and maybe explore some of the very interesting places i've found down there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true. Edmonton without an automobile is like living in a field alone. Ok...well maybe not that bad. However, if you happen to live in an un-walkable area of this city it can be extremely isolated. I have always had huge issues with transit stopping at midnight. This completely immobilizes such a large portion of the city, stranding them in the early morning hours.

    I also agree about Edmonton being horrendous for cyclists. I ride a bike for most of the summer and have experienced some serious close calls.

    ReplyDelete