Friday, February 4, 2011

Queer/Minority Edmonton

I am unfamiliar with any particular spaces in Edmonton that are "owned" by minorities. But I will admit, as much as I despise Edmonton, that the intellectual growth I have undergone specifically with regards to queers and minorities in Edmonton has been immense.

Before starting my studies at the U of A, I had no specific opinions about sexual minorities and in particular about homosexuality. Although I was aware of the 'official' disdain for them in Islam, I was largely apathetic towards homosexuality and sexual minorities in general. However, thanks to a friend I met here in Edmonton, who is 'proud' and Muslim, I have now abandoned the fence.

From an Islamic and Pakistani perspective where 'homosexual sex' is rampant yet unacknowledged publicly (Iran's President made an infamous remark a few years ago that there are no gays in Iran, as an example), and to become a hardcore supporter for equality and the right to live and let live - it was all a massive change. All of it occurred in Edmonton. Although that friend has been denigrated multiple times at multiple fora, for his work to reconcile Islam and queerness - his resolve throughout the ordeal has amazed me.

His struggle in Edmonton is the lens through which I view the city and its embrace (or lack thereof) of minorities. He has done quite well, except within the Islamic community. Yet I'm hopeful, because by winning over the hearts and souls of miserables like me he's winning the smaller battles.

Some scholars have asserted that Islam is currently undergoing its own reformation. I wouldn't be surprised if several decades from now we view Edmonton as one of those cities which played a pivotal role in such a reformation. It might not be great or important as a stop on the Underground Railway, but it will definitely be something special. After all, Edmonton is the home to North America's oldest mosque. Who is to say that it won't be one of the leading cities (at least in North America) where pluralism wins?

2 comments:

  1. You said that this massive change occurred in Edmonton... Do you think there's something inherent within our city that other places may not possess that allows for change to occur and to be embraced? If so, what is it? What is it about Edmonton that could make it a leading city in this idea of pluralism?

    I didn't know that Edmonton is the home to North America's oldest mosque -- thanks for the tidbit =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a super interesting post - thanks. There's a book by Dionne Brand called Bread Out of Stone (early 1990s, can't remember the exact publishing details) that says, about Toronto - and I'm paraphrasing!: "For all the bad stuff that happens, this is a weirdly hopeful city." It's a sentiment I often feel about Edmonton. I don't know exactly how to account for it, but it has something to do with the blue-collar demographic we tend to have here (by comparison with Calgary, for instance): we *work* together, we have to figure this stuff out. Really interesting stuff here.

    ReplyDelete