Saturday, March 26, 2011

Seeing Edmonton Like A Tourist

This week's topic is an extremely interesting one because I came to Edmonton as a tourist but that tour never really materialized. I came here to visit my family who had moved from Ontario just a month after I started university there. But I ended up getting into a car accident several days after my arrival here and just stayed. So I'd like to suggest for all tourists who come here to go to the following places.

Old Strathcona/Whyte Ave/Rivery Valley
The River Valley is one of the most serene places that I have ever seen in a city of Edmonton's size. And it's beautiful in the summer. After you've taken a long walk in a warm sunny summer day, it would be ideal to end the walk at Whyte Ave after you've traversed a little bit of Old Strathcona. The afternoon hustle and bustle of Whyte Ave and just the sheer number of people walking in groups trying to avoid, and in some cases not, street vendors reminds me of Pakistani open markets and bazaars. Just priceless!

Bruce Peel Special Collections
I can't help it. I'm a book worm and so should you! There's something inexplicable about the smell of old books that nothing else can ever match. Looking through books hundreds of years old, especially if they have margin notes or even a squiggly line from a previous owner can give you an amazing trip into history. Much more than the books themselves, the ability to peer back into hundreds of years of history is just pure bliss. We're fortunate to have this here at the University of Alberta and everyone should go there at least once.

West Edmonton Mall
I have mixed feeling about this one. I hate the concept but it still draws you once in a while. Also, I worked at Galaxyland for almost 3 years. The feeling in my gut right before the Mindbender's first drop is something that never gets old. Also, everyone should experience what an ex-world record looks like.

South Common Mall
This is like visiting hell. I imagine if we could visit hell and witness what goes on there, we might behave a tad bit nicer. So visit South Common Mall to learn about the atrocities of urban sprawl and to make a vow never to let it happen anywhere else. (Also, the owner of the South Common Mall is building another massive mall on the North side. Woohoo!)

I don't want to make the post too long, so I'll stop here. If you're interested in knowing what else I'd recommend, just ask!

1 comment:

  1. I love the suggestion of the Bruce Peel Collection: it's in the basement of Rutherford South. Go there, dooooo it!

    ReplyDelete